Sunday, August 08, 2010

Day One Quiz

I had the realization last night that I am just about three weeks away from having students in my classroom.  I am slowly plodding away at stuff (I do have concept lists done for 3 of my 4 preps and I got my open house paperwork in as well as got my website updated) - but there is still so much to do.  Like @Fouss and @jamieryske, I am going to do a Day One Quiz with my students.  I've attached mine below.  I think (for the first time), I am not going to spend all of Day One going over the Class Procedures/Rules sheet.  I'm still going to collect their information and get books out as well as do my Interest Inventory sheet (although I am going to tweak that and will attach it later).  I haven't decided what else I am going to try to accomplish day one.  Part of the problem is that we have a "temporary" homeroom on the first day and that changes the lengths of the periods for some of my classes (but not all) and we won't have a good idea of what that will be until that day (don't get me started....). 

So - here is my first day quiz: Day One Quiz

3 comments:

Dvora C said...

I have often started class with a lesson on cool mental math tools ... How to square big numbers in their head by looking at patterns. I don't worry about books or the like on day 1 since it is often what happens in every class.

I really like your survey. It is a nice way for your students to get to know a bit about you.

Lisa said...

I can't take credit for the original idea - @jamieryske shared it with us on Twitter and @Fouss blogged about it in her blog (she's on my Blogroll). I just liked that it was different and not the me talking all period bit that I've done for 18 years.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Lisa said...

FYI - Here is my prezi with the answers: http://prezi.com/0-244nc3xm0x/day-one-quiz-answers/?auth_key=b763b9f41fa72b040c45e7f6cc59fba9b75992eb