Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Change, it's a comin'

Yes, things are changing in my world next year. Instead of teaching Algebra 2 and Math 2, I will be teaching Algebra 1, Math 1, and Calculus. I last taught Math 1 in 2011-2012 and Calculus in 2010-2011, but I think it's been since 1999-2000 since I last taught Algebra 1. We were using the UCSMP book then. Needless to say, Common Core wasn't even a thought then. We were using a County-wide curriculum book at that point - the Ohio State Standards were still in development then. By the same token, I have taught Algebra 2 for almost my entire 21 years teaching (except maybe 3 years I think).

I have to say that I was a little sad that I wasn't teaching Algebra 2 next year. However, now that I have had a week or so to think about it and for it to sink in, I am looking forward to the change. I will be teaching some of the same content that I have taught, although I am still trying to figure out how much of it filters to Algebra 1. What has also sunk in is that I will have to do yet another curriculum map and Learning Target list. Now, I have to figure out where to start in terms of the Common Core. After talking to our county math person, I think I am going to begin with what the Dana Center has for Algebra 1 and then adjusting for the PARCC Model Content Frameworks since we are in a PARCC state. I am still debating how much of the original Appendix A I will use since my understanding was that it is a guideline for the courses.

Then, of course, come the questions in my mind of how I am going to structure my course with Standards Based Grading. With having almost all freshmen, I know that I will need to have some sort of structure to incorporate homework into it. Without having that, I am certain that the students won't practice problems outside of class. I am also going to need to incorporate more in class practice as well. Lots of things bouncing around in my head right now.

So, as Summer 2013 begins, I am still working. Starting first to decide on how my Algebra 1 course will be structured, then moving towards finding the resources to help me. Should be an interesting summer...

1 comment:

cheesemonkeysf said...

I am secretly very happy for you because Algebra 1 is where so much of the biggest bang-for-the-buck payoffs are. :) Improving study skills and habits alone makes a gigantic difference. Plus everything fun you offer is magical to Algebra 1 students.

Check out @emergentmath's project-based lesson alignments with the CCSSM frameworks.

Scary, I know, but also very cool!

- Elizabeth (@cheesemonkeysf)