Friday, September 14, 2012

New Blogger Initiative Week 4

Here is the 4th (and final) installment of new bloggers. Please take some time to read and comment on these blogs - there are some great ideas this week.

Angie Eakland (@aeakland) - Coefficients of Determination
The fourth post for the Blogging Initiation is titled "Visions of PEMDAS danced thorugh my head" and the author sums it up as follows: Order of Operations is such an important topic at sixth grade. It's not really something the students can discover and so their initial understandings come down to how good of a job I do at introducing it in a memorable way. I created a new foldable that - in part - made this the easiest introduction I've ever had. A memorable quotation from the post is: Students LOVED the foldable, they LOVED getting to choose the four colors that they would use with intentionality (my word, not theirs :)), and I loved how easily students picked up the idea of doing multiplication and division and then addition and subtraction as they moved from left to right in their expression! :) :)
My thoughts: This is a neat foldable. I really like how she designed it so that multiplication and division were on the same row as well as addition and subtraction were as well. It's cool when something comes together rather well, especially after a good night's sleep.

crazedmummy - crazedmummy
The fourth post for the Blogging Initiation is titled "Posting on a post to a post..." and the author sums it up as follows: This post is about someone responding to something I stole, and sent on to them, and they actually found it helpful. Oh theft, I am so devoted to you. A memorable quotation from the post is: I feel as if I have edged in to a party that my kids are holding and they have not frozen in silence (you know what you did when someone’s mom came in – don’t give me that look).  
My thoughts: It is pretty cool when someone in the twitterblogosphere references what you've done. :-)

Dan Bowdoin (@danbowdoin) - Technology Integration for Math Engagement
The fourth post for the Blogging Initiation is titled "Auto-Updating Agenda and Assignment Board" and the author sums it up as follows: I write about the switch from lesson planning on paper, to saving plans in computer files, and then the change to a completely electronic system that automatically updates for students as you make any changes! The idea was stolen from I Speak Math, Julie Reulbach. "Now, I’m all electronic when I plan. I made a Google Spreadsheet that lists the date, lesson, homework, and any important links the students will need. I love this way of giving homework, because then students can easily find the links I want them to access." A memorable quotation from the post is: It was great to see students, the first week of school, already going to the website and using the electronic links to complete their textbook assignment early.
My thoughts: It's neat to see how others use technology. Dan got such a positive response to this that he posted a link to his Google Spreadsheet in the comments. Pretty cool!

Lee KT (@lthor010) - random expected value
The fourth post for the Blogging Initiation is titled "You've got a friend..." and the author sums it up as follows: Have you ever read something that aligns with your thinking so much that you wish that you could sit with down with this person and talk and talk and talk? That's blogging...start the conversation, and keep it going. KEEP WRITING!! And oh yeah, Desmos is so cool! A memorable quotation from the post is: KEEP WRITING!
My thoughts: Lee makes a great point - the blogs that we all write keep this conversation going. We read what is going on in each other's classrooms and minds and comment to what strikes a chord with us. We share freely and help to improve each other's teaching. These conversations are what make us the best twitterblogosphere. :-)

Matt Owen (@_MattOwen_) - Just Tell Me the Answer
The fourth post for the Blogging Initiation is titled "Flipclass Reflections So Far" and the author sums it up as follows: I've been making videos for my students this year. So far, the response has been positive, but I'm not doing a good job of ensuring that they watched and understood the videos. Here's a possible solution (stolen from another math blogger of course). A memorable quotation from the post is: If the student doesn’t remember whether they watched the video, either A. they didn’t watch it or B. They didn’t get it.
My thoughts: I'm always glad to see people sharing ideas that they have used in their classroom. I'll be curious to see how it works in his class.

Wesley (@wp202) - Intervals of Convergence
The fourth post for the Blogging Initiation is titled "Getting Students to Communicate" and the author sums it up as follows: I want my students communicating in many ways with each other and myself through the class. Most of this involves placing the students in a teaching role and helping others in their class. Here's how I do it in my class. Suggestions appreciated! A memorable quotation from the post is: I love how it breaks up a lesson, lets students become teachers (if only for 10 seconds sometimes), gives struggling students some help, and helps students get to know each other.
My thoughts: There are some great communication starters here to use with your students. Very nicely done.

No comments: