Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Understanding by Design Intro - #sbarbook Wed 6/8/11

RT @druinok: @lmhenry9 here is @agktmte's blog about UbD for tonight... http://bit.ly/laoHht #sbarbook

#sbarbook I am excited to go through this book in detail. I have been part of a PLC / PD program for the last year that used this book.

Just intro tonight of UbD for #sbarbook. Starting off slow since some people still in school.

I liked the vignettes at the beginning - really reiterated that if the activity doesn't produce learning, it needs to be rethought #sbarbook

which was a similar thought to Jackson's Never Work Harder :) #sbarbook

The tie-in to Covey's 7 Habits caught me immediately about beginning with the end in mind. #sbarbook

Also had a few moments of "I've done that" in regards to "covering" material :( #sbarbook
 
Scott_Schaefer
@druinok I really like how UbD discourages coverage. #sbarbook

@gwaddellnvhs We had a series of in-services on UbD about 3 yrs ago (I think) but I wasn't able to attend b/c I was in another PD #sbarbook

jrykse
The NAEP bus problem made me think of @ddmeyer 's marathon problem. #sbarbook

druinok
"Curriculum takes content..and shapes it into a plan.... It is more than a list of topics" #sbarbook

@Scott_Schaefer @druinok I agree - which is really hard right now (at least in math) w/ the amt of material in st. standards/core #sbarbook

jryske
I was surprised today by which kids blindly multiplied and which mentioned something about maintaining 6 min pace. #sbarbook

@Scott_Schaefer me too, but gosh if I haven't been guilty of it :) #sbarbook especially in the spring after 2 weeks of snow days! :)

I definitely see a lot of the brain being a "way station" for material - especially with just having given finals. #sbarbook

@druinok I'm guilty too! The bummer is that the most interesting units of study seem to end up being at the end of the year. #sbarbook

lmhenry9Lisa Henry
Students seem to learn the material long enough for the test and then forget it. It shows up on midterms and finals. #sbarbook

Scott_SchaeferScott Schaefer
I like the "misconception alert!" on page 10. #sbarbook
 
lmhenry9
@Scott_Schaefer That is SO true! I *finally* got to logarithms and exponentials (lots of great application) & couldn't finish. #sbarbook

Scott_Schaefer
@lmhenry9 You are going to love "Stage 2" with assessment. #sbarbook

jryske
@druinok I can recall some past projects that did nothing for understanding. #sbarbook

druinok
"We need not give a grade - an evaluation - to everything we give feedback to" #sbarbook AMEN! :)

RT @druinok: "We need not give a grade - an evaluation - to everything we give feedback to" #sbarbook AMEN! :)

Here for the #sbarbook party. Better late than never.

@lmhenry9 from what I've understood, that's part of UbD - deciding the big ideas that they shouldn't forget #sbarbook

druinok
@jrykse me too :( or activities I really liked but at the end of the day, if the kids don't know what the point was... :( #sbarbook

Scott_Schaefer
@druinok "deciding the big ideas that they shouldn't forget" AND designing authentic assessments around those big ideas. #sbarbook

@druinok absolutely. #sbarbook Our PD called them "Essential Understandings" Start w/ EU's, then decide how to determine what they know,

druinok
I am eager to move more of my kids from the "knowledge" column to the "understanding" column (esp wrt to transference!) #sbarbook

druinok
seems like a lot of Jackson's works may be based on UbD - the end part reminded me of the "red flags" #sbarbook

@druinok #sbarbook and then decide how to get the learners to actively engage in material to get them the understanding needed for the asses

jryske
seems like a lot of Jackson's works may be based on UbD - the end part reminded me of the "red flags" #sbarbook

My (personal) concern w/ big ideas is how to get there. I spend way too much time redoing Alg1 since teacher doesn't cover it well.#sbarbook

druinok
By the way - welcome to our newcomers! So glad to have @agktmte @Scott_Schaefer and @Mr_Martenis joining us! #sbarbook

druinok
@jrykse nice!!! So you get to separate the "need to know" vs the "nice to know" :) #sbarbook

druinok
@lmhenry9 can you redo Alg1 concepts in an Alg2 context? #sbarbook (that's what we're trying to do w/ linear review & piecewise functions

@lmhenry9 #sbarbook having the big idea can lead the remediation for the lowerlevel learners though. Knowing at the beginning where it ends.

@druinok Haven't gotten that far. I'm hoping #sbarbook and UbD will help with it.

"Tching for understanding must successfully predict potential misunderstandings & rough spots in learning if it is 2 be effective" #sbarbook

jryske
@druinok Yes. Go for understanding on a few, touch on nice to knows. Leaning towards exam will only be our "need to knows". #sbarbook

@lmhenry9 Seems like there is a lot of math teachers here. What may be the big idea(s) in Alg I? #sbarbook

druinok
@Mr_Martenis jump right on in anytime - we're a friendly bunch :) #sbarbook

jreulbach
Got the book. Didn't read. Lurking. Survival mode. #sbarbook

I liked: UbD "is not a prescriptive program. It is a way of thinking more purposefully & carefully about the nature of any design" #sbarbook

@Scott_Schaefer @lmhenry9#sbarbook Algebra I big ideas - maybe equivalence, solution, representation?

druinok
@Scott_Schaefer I think this will definitely cause us to rethink the instructional strategies we use in the classroom #sbarbook

@Scott_Schaefer That is an interesting question right now. I used to think linear equations/representations. #sbarbook

jryske
@lmhenry9 Will be combining decisions on priority standards with vertical alignment so everyone on same page for what to expect. #sbarbook

@Scott_Schaefer With the Common Core, I now think that Algebra 1 has shifted to more quadratic relationships/representations. #sbarbook
 
MathBratt
I'm lurking #sbarbook we've looked at UbD PD in my district. 4 many it dnt become a way of thinking. more a template 2 plug in same ideas.
 
MathBratt
@lmhenry9 Will be combining decisions on priority standards with vertical alignment so everyone on same page for what to expect. #sbarbook

Scott_Schaefer
@MathBratt "more a template 2 plug in same ideas." Bummer. It can be so much more! #sbarbook

lmhenry9
@jrykse Hopefully with new admin @ HS and push from superintendent, we'll have more vertical communication. #sbarbook

druinok
@MathBratt "more a template 2 plug in same ideas." Bummer. It can be so much more! #sbarbook

Mr_Martenis
@MathBratt "more a template 2 plug in same ideas." Bummer. It can be so much more! #sbarbook

@Scott_Schaefer I completely agree. my frustration was my thinking was there but PD was more focused on filling in templates #sbarbook

Scott_Schaefer
I noticed representations coming up as big ideas. What is a real world application? #sbarbook

druinok
@lmhenry9 yes, and that was one of @agktmte's thoughts too, that UbD wasn't a program, it could be adapted for whatever situation #sbarbook

I don't know what's going on in other states, but in Ohio they have implemented new stds in Sci & Soc Stud as well as Common Core #sbarbook

MathBratt
@Mr_Martenis I'm excited for #sbarbook I'm at a good place to revisit the ideas. will need to catch up when I have achance

druinok
@MathBratt lurk away, but feel free to join us anytime! :) #sbarbook

jryske
@lmhenry9 Next year have built in 50 min late start days twice month p& usual full PD days.Hoping to actually get some stuff done. #sbarbook

@Scott_Schaefer I know I am planning on bringing in more real world application in all my courses. #sbarbook

gwaddellnvhs
@lmhenry9 in NV, only Common core for Math & English. We adopted new standards 2 years ago and now get to redo everything again. #sbarbook

druinok
@lmhenry9 but the Common Core will take a while to phase in, I agree w/ linear for Alg1 for now until we build up to it #sbarbook

druinok
@Mr_Martenis do you already use UbD in your planning? #sbarbook

jryske
Anyone have the workbook? worth it? #sbarbook

@Scott_Schaefer my district is working on math/sci collab, with the idea of representation and transference of knowledge #sbarbook

@jrykse I don't, but I thought about it. Depends on how I feel about UbD once we're done with #sbarbook. :-)

RT @MathBratt: @jrykse I might have it. I'll look as I'm packing up my office tomorrow. #sbarbook

Scott_Schaefer
@druinok That's great! I think sci uses a lot of algebra directly. First thing that comes to mind is best fit lines. #sbarbook

Mr_Martenis
@Scott_Schaefer @druinok Oh yes, we use basic algebra a lot in Intro Physics #sbarbook

Scott_Schaefer
@jrykse #sbarbook the workbook is worth it. We use it quite a bit during trainings. Lots of ideas.

MathBratt
@Scott_Schaefer @jrykse If I remember correctly I might only have the workbook and not the actual UbD book #sbarbook

druinok
@Scott_Schaefer I also teach AP Stat, so that's an easy fit :) next year am next to the AP Env Sci and AP Bio tchrs :) #sbarbook

Also lurking #sbarbook . I read it last year. Here's a sample of a unit a group of teacher made based on that model. http://bit.ly/iFVxMh

Mr_Martenis
#sbarbook The Intro looks promising, I'll see if the rest of the book helps me as I revise my astro course over the summer.

Scott_Schaefer
@druinok I think Stats has a lot more real world apps than anything else. Can't believe I waited until grad school to take it. #sbarbook

druinok
@thescamdog thanks for the link! #sbarbook

@Scott_Schaefer it is the most awesome class :) I'm eager to work w/ the sci dept next year w/ real data (and all the cool toys!) #sbarbook

Scott_Schaefer
@Mr_Martenis favorite thing about UbD is 40 year rule. What do you want stds to understand from your class 40 years from now? #sbarbook

Scott_Schaefer
@druinok I started using histograms with my 7th graders immediately. They did well with it. #sbarbook

Mr_Martenis
@Scott_Schaefer Yikes! I'm trying to recall what I learned 40 years ago... #sbarbook

Any other thoughts on the intro of #sbarbook?

druinok
Looks like #sbarbook chat is starting to wind down - any additional comments that y'all have about the intro?

Chapter 1 of #sbarbook is 21 pages. I know some are still finishing up school years. Do we want to do Mon 6/13? Or later?

jryske
Ready for chapter 1! Have to put book down otherwise will do it tonight. Eager to begin. #sbarbook

RT @Mr_Martenis: Not really any more thoughts about intro. Just looking forward to getting into the substance of the book. #sbarbook

druinok
@Mr_Martenis agreed!!! me too :) It's now been a year since #sbarbook was formed and its been SO rewarding for me!! So glad to have you!

gwaddellnvhs
@lmhenry9 I am ready for chap 1 #sbarbook

Scott_Schaefer
Thanks for the great discussion! I'm glad I stumbled upon this and barged on in! #sbarbook

lmhenry
Does Monday 6/13 9:30p est work for Chapter 1 of #sbarbook?

Mr_Martenis
@gwaddellnvhs @lmhenry9 I can probably have Ch. 1 ready by Monday. #sbarbook

We'll plan on Chapter 1 of UbD for Monday 6/13 9:30 est. #sbarbook

jryske
@lmhenry9 Monday is ok here. #sbarbook

Thanks everyone for a good #sbarbook discussion. Great to hear from some new tweeps! I'll see if I can get this archived on my blog.

No comments: